Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Goal

My goal here is to help people who are struggling with bipolar disorder within their marriage.   My own husband was diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder almost three years ago, and I completely understand the trials that it brings. Previously known as manic depression, this is a mood disorder which brings a person to huge emotional extremes; extreme euphoria and unlimited energy, extreme depression, exhaustion and rage. It can leave a spouse feeling as if they are living with a ticking time bomb, and in many ways they are. As a result, a huge number of bipolar marriages just don't make it. The stress and the strain are incredible for both partners. 
I was quite tempted on more than one occasion to hit the road with bells on, and no one would have blamed me if I had. I was even encouraged to call it quits by many, professionals and regular Joe's alike.  I turned to the Internet for help, and found much of the same.  Instead, I felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to remain where I was, regardless of the pain that came with the locale.  I chose to keep my family intact, and battle the bipolar war 'til death do us part.  At least that’s what I’m trying to do, and with the help of God, it can be so.
I would never encourage anyone to remain in a dangerous situation - EVER.  But, I would suggest that any man or woman living with a person with bipolar recognize that to stay or to go is their decision alone.  There is hope in some situations, regardless of the severity of the manic and depressive episodes.  I was given every reason to leave on a silver platter, and a nice "We'll be seeing ya now," to pave the way.  But I chose to stay, and now I'm glad that I did.  It would be a shame to turn one's back on their miracle when it is just outside the door.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I never knew Jessica. I am not in a bipolar marriage but I am a mother to a bipolar daughter. I know what you are going through. It has been hard on us all to tip toe around my daughter. afraid to say anything, and please don't touch her. My mother in law also had bipolar and her mother too. I just wish they would find a medicine that will work and not make the one sleep all the time. Can you tell me who he is seeing and if the medicine he is on is working for him. Cause her doesn't seen to work. It is a battle all the time and the stress is getting to me.. Not fester1fester. This is Jeanette

Jessi said...

Hi Jeanette,

I completely understand what you are going through. Proper treatment is a huge key to helping those with bipolar get back to a normal, productive life. Now, there are certainly varying degrees of severity with this mood disorder. But there are few and far between that can actually go without treatment and control it on their own.

It was a struggle for us to find medical professionals who really tried to help him function normally, rather than turn him into a zombie. We also battled rapid cycling to the utmost degree. He would swing between mania and depression every few minutes at the worst, and this was directly linked to his taking anti-depressants rather than mood medication. And, many of these medications do make a person sleepy - one thing that can help with that is trying to have a very rigid schedule of sleeping and eating patterns. I'll post more to try to help you, and feel free to inbox me - you have my personal info, I believe. :) THERE IS HOPE!

P.S. I really do have to add that the better our spiritual life is, the better Lee does. The changes I have seen from him over the past few years are comparable to the differences between the ocean and the desert. I only have God to thank for helping us find the people we needed, the information we needed and the strength we needed to manage. And, getting that from Him is easy to do! Just ask Him for it, believe He'll do it and He will!